This contest is now closed. Thank you to everyone who entered! We’ll have a longlist in around ten weeks!
We’re challenging writers to create 1,000-word-max flash genre stories in ten days or fewer! You’re invited to submit to the AI Flash Challenge from May 04 to May 14, 2023.
We often find that the blank page stymies our creativity, but when we’re faced with an engaging prompt, magic happens! We’re excited to give our submitters a chance to write some new genre flash fiction. For this challenge, we’re thrilled to offer the first-place winner of this prize $500 and publication. All entries will be considered for general publication at our regular rate of $200.
For this challenge, we want flash stories based on the theme of “Interacting with AI.” Our imaginations are already humming with the pros and cons of living with artificial intelligence, so we want to know what writers think the future holds! We don’t want stories written by AI, but rather we want fiction wherein characters work with and against this new technology. Take us into this new world—dazzle us with your descriptions of technology and show us characters desperate to live meaningful lives on this new frontier. We love stories that incorporate aspects of all genres, so consider how these elements might enhance your story.
Good luck and happy writing!
Tommy and the Uncharted Team
How It Works:
- You write some flash fiction! Stick to 1,000 words or fewer for each story submitted and make sure you utilize the prompt above. Every submitted story should be original and written within this ten-day window.
- You send us your stories! Each submission of up to two stories requires a $20 reading fee. Make sure to put both stories into a single document. Double-space your submission and use Times New Roman 12. Stories should be written primarily in English, but some code-switching is welcome. Every story will be considered for publication in our regular issue as well.
- In ten to twelve weeks, we’ll announce the winners! We’ll award $500 to the winner and publication in Uncharted Magazine.
- We only consider unpublished work for contests—we do not review reprints, including self-published work (even on blogs and social media). Reprints will be automatically disqualified.
- Simultaneous submissions are okay—please notify us and withdraw your entry if you find another home for your writing.
- Multiple entries are also okay—but each submission (of up to two 1,000-word stories) must be accompanied by a separate reading fee of $20.
Some Submittable Hot Tips:
- Please be sure to whitelist/add to contacts this email address so notifications do not get filtered as spam/junk: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you realize you sent the wrong version of your piece: It happens. Please DO NOT withdraw the piece and resubmit. Submittable collects a nonrefundable fee each time. Please DO message us from within the submission to request that we open the entry for editing, which will allow you to fix everything from typos in your cover letter to uploading a new draft. The only time we will not allow a change is if the piece is already under review by a reader.
OPTIONAL FEEDBACK ON YOUR WRITING
You may choose to receive editorial feedback on your piece. We will provide a global letter discussing the strengths of the writing and the recommended focus for revision. Our aim is to make our comments actionable and encouraging. These letters are written by editors and staff readers of Uncharted Magazine. A significant portion of the editorial letter fees goes to our feedback editor, according to the rates established by the EFA. Should your story win, no feedback will be offered, and your fee will be refunded.